Login | Member benefits | Join us
Pest Management
About Permits
Finding a Permit
IPM - Integrated Pest Management
Contact Details

PO Box 138
273 Camberwell Rd
Camberwell, VIC 3124

Tel: 0437037613
Fax: 03 9882 6722
Login or Sign up now!

Latest News

Bayer Vegetables Forum
Read more here...

Agricultural Trailers
Read more here...

Food Safety Proposal For Comment
Read more here...

Supermarket Cuts Veg Prices
Read more here...

Green Snail Alert
Read more here...

About Permits

The selective use of plant protection products to control harmful pests, weeds and plant diseases, is critical to providing a reliable, high quality, food supply.

TWO national government agencies regulate the use of plant protection products in Australia.

The Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) is responsible for approving agricultural and veterinary chemical products for use in Australia. Product registration requires exhaustive efficacy and crop residue testing for each crop under a range of climatic conditions.Maximum Residue Testing MRL

Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) is responsible for assessing dietary exposure to plant protection products and consult with regulators and the public to set maximum residue limits (MRL's).

MRL's are determined by a number of factors including:

  • How much of the food is eaten in the average diet.

  • How toxic the pesticide is.

  • How easily the food absorbs the pesticide.

Penalties may apply if food is sold which contain residues of a product that haven�t been specifically approved by the APVMA for use in that crop, or exceed the MRL set by FSANZ.

Registering a product for small volume vegetable crops is often uneconomic yet growers risk severe losses if they do not protect their crops and penalties if they use these products "Off-Label".

Fortunately, the National Permit System allows for this market reality.

The APVMA will issue a permit for the 'minor use' of products once they are satisfied that the product - used in accordance with the permit - will control the pest without harmful effects to people, the crops or the environment.

A list of current APVMA permits as of June 2008 is available here (pdf, 71kb).

read the labelTo be more involved in the minor-use permit project and receive regular permit updates, contact:

Peter DalSanto at AgAware Consulting Pty Ltd
Users should always obtain a copy of the permit and understand it well before using the product to avoid breaching the permitted conditions of use.

  1. There is often a delay between APVMA registration and FSANZ setting the MRL. Residues of 'new' product must be below detectable limits until the FSANZ MRL is set.

  2. MRL's in other countries may be different to Australia and NZ. Make sure you know the MRL specifications before applying products to crops destined for export markets.

Check product registrations with the APVMA.
Check MRL's in the Australia and New Zealand Food Standards Code.

^ Back to top    


Member Benefits

Group actions unite growers as a single voice with more influence than any individual could achieve alone. AUSVEG VIC membership is a cost effective... Read more...

Site supporters
Web design Melbourne | Web Agent AUSVEG VIC 2018